1. Write the sentence that is the topic sentence of the paragraph.
a. The topic sentence is “A trip to the ocean can be a relaxing escape from the everyday pressures of life.”
Write the sentence that is unrelated to the topic and can be eliminated.
b. The sentence to be removed is “You should always be careful to avoid overexposure to the sun at the beach.”
2. List Four things to look for when proofreading.
1. Capitalization of proper nouns & capitalization at the start of sentences.
2. Accidentally added, transposed or dropped letters.
3. Correct Indentation and spacing.
4. Plagiarism and Originality
3. Complete the following two steps:
a. Define the term cliché.
The Term “cliché” is to describe a phrase that is overused and not original.
b. Use a cliché in a sentence that you create.
Noah was rude to everyone that day, seems he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
4. Name and explain two types of prewriting.
Brainstorming is the process of writing down key ideas on a subject before writing.
Freewriting is the act of writing whatever comes to mind about a certain subject
5. Choose one of the prompts listed below. Write a five-sentence paragraph using chronological order and including a topic sentence to explain the steps that you would take to complete one of the following tasks.
a. Preparing for a test
Preparing for a test can require a lot of diligence and an open mind. The student needs to understand what he is reading to be able to understand the point of the of the questions. He needs to be open minded so that he gather as much information on the subject as possible. The test will be easy to get the point of what they are learning when they understand it.